Monday, March 31, 2008

twentyeighth


I'm getting more and more curious, if the next record should be recorded only with low-cost equipment and have only acoustic instruments in it. In my head it sounds awfully tempting. In fact the bass is the only instrument that does have the acoustic addition of itself. In my neighborhood, I mean. So I'd need to ask some of my friends (Jani!?) to either play or borrow me the bass. Anyhow, at the moment, I feel more and more sure about the fact that the next album must have more live-play on it. How to accomplish that one is the question. The songs are anyway on the road, heading towards my head and fingers, toes and mouth.

The other thing is the recording equipment. I am really pleased on my Boss Micro-BR. And my studio will be more than ready for processing the recorded tracks, even though it is not there yet (and that story is covered elsewhere, outside THIS Post). But the microphones seem to be the hardest ones to find. Getting them should be rather easy, after I know what I want :D.
Luckily, internet is filled with brilliant instructions from microphone placement to final mixdown. Plus the reviews and the recommentations, without them it would be rather impossible to pick the right one for the right purpose. One has to bear in mind though, that the acoustic guitars in previous album (Amonpolis I) were completely recorded through Micro BR, only small effecting was added afterwards.

Finally, I don't think that nowadays it is the equipment that makes the difference, I still think that it is the song itself that counts. I at least certainly hope so! For me it seems to be more like that, actually, if the music I'm listening to is too sharp and shining without any 'errors' in the album, it's not interesting anyway. It more or less stays in the safe path then and does not explore or challenge the huge possibilities of human mind. What I mean that if you push yourself towards your boudaries, the more likely you are about to make mistakes, at least in the beginning of the boundary hunting. In the end, you'll find other boundaries and get familiar with the old ones. If you avoid risks and over the limit playing, you'll easily end up sounding boring, if you're note careful.

No comments: